Thursday, April 23, 2009

My carbon footprint

The carbon footprint is the amount of GHG emissions you personally are responsible for. I measured my carbon footprint on the website and it was 2.97. http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/

The website shows me that I need above 3 planets to live in, but comparing with other student my rate was low, may be because I don’t eat that much and I don’t like to drive my car as much as my classmates. Ahmed Salem who is one of my classmates measured his carbon footprint and the result was 4.36. I think the difference between him and me is very clear because Ahmed wouldn’t have any problem if he drove his car for a whole day. However, the problem is not in our class only because our country has the highest carbon footprint per head. According to the website the UAE estimated the footprint at 11.9 gha (global hectares) per person. http://archive.gulfnews.com/supplements/abudhabi_2008/more_stories/10200240.html

All in all, we must make a movement to reduce this high amount of our country and that firstly belongs to us. We must change our bad habits exactly in the use of cars, but actually we can’t do anything for the main factors of raising the country footprint’s which are the rapid growth in population and the economy also.

No comments: